People employed in the citrus industry have the right to a safe work environment and are entitled to a fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work. Much of the work in the citrus industry is seasonal, physical and time critical.
To that end, Citrus Australia:
- Supports the piece rate as a motivation for efficiency and reward
- Supports the Seasonal Worker Program as a core component to a stable seasonal workforce
- Supports legislation that recognises the variability of horticultural workplaces
- Supports raising the superannuation threshold from $450 a month
- Opposes industrial manslaughter rules
- Opposes expansion of penalty rates
- Promotes a uniform and efficient national labour hire contractor registration process and system, including no under payment and misuse of piece work agreements.
Citrus Australia has composed a Members’ Guide to Farm Labour in Australia, to provide guidance on how to source labour, how to pay workers correctly and how to ensure their safety amongst many other things.
Citrus Australia has also compiled a comparison of visas currently available for growers to sponsor workers, as of February 2020.
Visit our LABOUR section for members, to view the above documents, along with our other resources.
View further information on labour by following the below links:
Read below the details of the NEW Horticulture Industry Labour Agreement, available to assist growers to sponsor skilled workers.